Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Be slow to be a Critic

            Have you noticed that people have become very comfortable with being critical? We all love the brutal honesty of Simon Cowell on American Idol – he brutally crushes people. It makes for good ratings. But is that what we all need – another critic? I have found that most times, artist really are not looking for feedback, but are really looking to say, “Hey, look at what I did…” Most times, by the time the artist shows their work; it’s well beyond the notes/feedback portion. People generally have no idea what it would take to incorporate some of those notes. And how much blood, sweat and tears went into it. A minor “just FYI, thought” would take huge effort to make it happen. I have a film that is complete and on DVD and yet from time to time I still get “notes” (suggestions) on editing it. It goes something like, “You know, I really would have…” Well, that ain’t gonna happen.
            I noticed that people are ready to be critical in doing my documentary (www.USA30Days.com). People were willing to talk right off the street and no matter the subject, people were very opinionated as though they were a subject matter expert. They were quick to give harsh feedback and ready to disagree. Being critical I’m afraid is starting to be in our DNA.
            I would say that we live in a very critical age. As an independent filmmaker, I’m not too excited about this. There is no apple to apples comparison. My film will be compared to Spielberg’s. On one hand, I get it – I need to find a way for my film to be excellent – but on another note, what might I do with a huge studio level budget?
            Now, sometimes artist are looking for honest feedback and should you be one of the lucky ones that get to offer feedback or notes; I have one thought for you – go easy. Artists pour their souls out and art is subjective in nature. The “hardest” artist – has feelings. Recognize this can be subjective and allow the artist the freedom to take your feedback or not. Also, don’t just give the negative. Use the sandwich approach – say something positive, something constructive, and end with something positive.
            If you feel you must be that critic – I encourage you to pump the brakes and sometimes its best just not to say anything at all. Nod and just appreciate their effort.

It is not the critic who counts,
or how the strongman stumbled and fell,
or where the doer of deeds
could have done better.
The credit belongs to the man
who is actually in the arena,
who knows the great enthusiasms,
the great devotion,
and who spends himself
in a worthy cause.
If he fails,
at least he fails while daring greatly,
so that he may never be
one of those cold and timid souls,
who know neither victory nor defeat.
- Theodore Roosevelt

No comments: