Monday, December 8, 2008

Actors: A word from a director: Be unique!

In the indie market we are competing with big budgets and big stars; so the only way to do this, is we must have a great script with compelling characters; unique characters. The unique part – the one with depth, the one that has to have that certain look, appeal, charisma – now that’s the one I’m more concerned with casting. That is the one I will spend more time on.

Point #1 is to know what role you are putting in for and what role you should be putting in for. Sean Pratt, a DC area actor/coach (www.seanprattpresents.com), calls this your “essence”. This is knowing who you naturally are. Knowing you will always be cast as the biker gang member and never the cop is good to know. It doesn’t narrow you, it streamlines you. I’m doing that in my head anyway, perhaps you should help me come to the right conclusion.

I was told – never take auditions personally. Well guess what? They were right. If I, as the director, receive a headshot – I don’t immediately flip to the resume that I’m sure is on the back – I look at the photo. Point #2, have a professional looking headshot. This is not necessarily the one you pay for the most. A headshot should just be an honest picture of what you look like right now. So, if you are a teenager and have a growth spurt, or you change your hairstyle; do me a favor and update your headshot. I also like seeing other shots if you have them. I know this is not the norm, but again when I’m looking for that unique part – I need to see you differently perhaps. With headshots I make up my mind in about a split second on whether or not this person could be my “Squirrelly”; my unique character. Do they have the right look?

As most know, auditions are generally very quick, why? It is because the ability to act is in fact assumed. I am not certain what skill level you are at, but I am assuming you can act. The audition is to confirm your acting ability and to see what unique things you might bring to the table with the character. Are you naturally my Squirrelly? This brings me to point #3, know your ability. If acting is assumed and you just don’t have the gifting to be an actor – then the sooner you find this out the better.

Point #4, be unique! Joaquin Phoenix has a great career even though he has a big scar on his face that he doesn’t hide. It gives his characters more depth and uniqueness about him. He is a leading man, but he is also unique. When young Daniel Radcliff walked into the audition for Harry Potter – they knew right then and there that he was Harry Potter. No audition had even taken place – he had the right look, the essence.

What you may see as a weakness can be turned into uniqueness if putting in for the right role! So your weight, your height, the fact you look young or you can play “the nerd” – great! Use this to allow the director to come to the right conclusion; that you are unique and are the person the director is looking for.

I hope this helps and I am looking forward to seeing you submit for our film, “The Fellowship” in 2009!

7 comments:

Anna said...

Hi Ron,

I submitted my daughter already, but will resubmit in January.

This will be a great project.

Kimberly McKay said...

I've been in one indie film and it was so fun. I wish I lived closer to submit for yours! congrats Ron! Who knew is junior high back in Woodbridge, that we'd both end up writing and in entertainment??

Unknown said...

Do you have a list of roles?

louc7033@gmail.com said...

Great post! I'm beginning my acting career and I've been thinking about who I am. I can play the nervous nerd but I'm also big and hope to play a cop. Anyway I think your views are spot on. It's about acting but looks do count.

I'd like to apply for the fellowship. Is it in the DC metro area?

Unknown said...

We will be listing out our needed roles on our web site this Spring for auditions this Summer. Can't wait to see all of the unique cast of characters we may get! :)

Dustin Harlowe said...

Ron,

Definitely liked your thoughts in this months blog. In order to be successful you have to be a dreamer. In order to turn your dreams into a reality you must stay consistent and keep pushing. I think you are well on your way!

Best,

Dustin

Unknown said...

Hi Ron,

I enjoy reading your posts and comments on LinkedIn...thanks for keeping us updated.

I agree with your statement to add more than one picture for the head shot submission. One of my "dream roles" would be acting the role of twin sisters who have clashing and opposing characters. Now, that would a fun and rewarding challenge!

Blessings to you, and to your work.